The middle of April is a busy and interesting time. We have 6 timely activities to try in your classes.
- How long do you think the Boston marathon is? Make your best guess; how many people run it? Make your best guess; make an educated guess as to the fastest marathon time. We've gathered a lot of great data and asked some sensible and some surprising rate questions. 5.MD.1, 6.NS.3, 6.RP.1, 6.RP.2, 6.RP.3, 7.RP.1
- Eliud Kipchoge ran marathon in 1:59:40:2 - On October 12th, 2019, Eliud Kipchoge ran a marathon in Vienna in under 2 hours. He has now broken a barrier of what humans are capable of accomplishing. We wondered how record marathon times have changed through the years. Will those record times keep being broken? Does the data help you predict? 7.RP, 8.F, 8.SP, MP1, MP4, HSM
- How fast can you run? - This activity compares the best short and long distance record speeds as students learn the logic and mechanics of using fractional expressions for the number one to convert meters per second to kilometers per hour, etcetera. 5.MD.A, 6.RP.A, HSA
As families and the news talk about filing taxes on time, it might be an excellent time to deal with where that tax money goes.
- Debt and Deficit give meaning to what tax dollars pay for. The activity involves reading charts, making comparisons, computing percents and analyzing trends to let students and their families more clearly understand these issues. 5.NBT.B, 6.NS.C, 6.RP.A, 7.RP.A, 8.EE.B, HSF.IF, HSF.LE, HSM, HSS.ID, MP4, MP5, MP8
And it's the day that honors Paul Revere's ride and the start of the Revolutionary War.
- Patriots Day - Monday, April 17, 2023 - Students learn more about the difficulties of the Revolutionary War and calculate the rates of:
- Paul Revere's ride
- The British crossing Boston to Cambridge by boat
- The British marching through the night to reach Lexington and Concord 6.RP, 6.EE, 7.RP
- On April 15th, 1947 Jackie Robinson became the first African-American baseball player to play in Major League Baseball since the game was segregated in the 1890s. In this activity we consider how many hits and homeruns Jackie might have had if he had begun his MLB career at the age of 20. We also take a look at the value of his first baseball card and speculate how much the card will be worth in the future. 6.SP.3, 6.EE.9, 7.EE.3, 7.EE.4, 8.F.4, HSF-LE.A.2, HSF-LE.A.3, MP1, MP3, MP4