Mother's Day by the numbers - Mother's Day is right around the corner and this means big business for the greeting card and floral industries. Let your students practice averages, percents, and large numbers while they analyze the statistics on Mother's Day spending. You could even ask students to do their calculations in scientific notation to add an extra dimension to this activity. Enjoy!
For members we have an editable Word doc and solutions.
CCSS: 6.RP, 6.SP, 7.RP, 7.SP
How much do we spend on Mother's Day - Use the Mother's Day event to engage your students in approximating, reasoning, and investigating as students estimate how much is spent in the United States for Mother's Day.
- For what is money spent?
- For whom is money spent?
- What is a low guess?
- What is a high guess?
- What facts would you like to know?
Helpful information for teachers: Useful-info-about Mother’s-Day2017.pdf
CCSS: 5.NBT.5 , 6.RP, 7.RP, 7.SP, HSS.IC , MP.1 , MP.2
For members we have an editable Word docx, our Excel data, and solutions.
Thank you mother and father for all of those diapers - Which is a better deal, cloth or disposable diapers? How much did you cost your parents in diapers? An investigation which develops and uses systems of equations.
CCSS: 6.EE.9, 7.EE.4, 8.F.2, 8.F.4, 8.EE.8, HS.F-IF.8.B, HS.F-LE.2, HS.F-LE.5, MP7, MP8
A gorgeous, glittery Mother's Day card - Finding the area of a heart by finding upper and lower limits.
Mother'sDay-card-blank - If you want to try this craft idea.
For members we have an editable Word docx and solutions:
CCSS: 3.MD.C, 4.NBT.B, 5.NBT.B, 6.G.A, 7.G.A
- Big Snickers bar - 3-act task; How much bigger than a regular Snickers bar is that?
- Shrinking Toblerone - Two sizes of Toblerone bars are now configured differently. How much did they lop off? How much did the price per gram of chocolate change? Is the price per gram still the same, if not how might you adjust the price of the products to make it fair? How much could you buy for $1.00? Could you have designed it better?
- Giant Chocolate bunnies - What can you deduce about the bunnies (pictured in this activity) from the descriptions given ... solid? hollow? cost per pound? cost per height?
- The size of chocolates - Students approximate the volume - Mean radius method and the counting squares.
- Chocolate milk and mixture problems - changing percent mixtures through a fun class day that ends with a yummy treat.
- Chocolate raspberry heart cake - Students calculate base area or volume of cakes made from 2 cake pan sizes and observe how the volume of the cake changes with the increased pan size. This is an activity intended to demonstrate that the volume increase is not linear. Volume expansion would be cubed if all dimensions of the cake were enlarged but in this case (since we didn't increase cake depth) only two dimensions are enlarged.
- Holiday candy sales - Translate a pie chart of information on candy sales to actual dollars spent. Ponder the amount of money that is spent on various holidays for candy.
- Too early in the day for so many choices - Calculate the number of combinations possible in a story of buying a warm drink when you are still sleepy and there is too much to decide.