On September 15, 2016, Olive Garden again offered a $100 pass for never-ending pasta, bread sticks, salad and coca cola soft drinks. The 21,000 patrons who quickly (in less than a minute) bought all of the passes will be entitled to as much pasta as they like (with toppings) from October 3 to November 20. Ask the class to consider these questions:
- Is this a good deal for patrons? What are the pros and cons?
- Will Olive Garden go broke?
- Is this good for the restaurant chain?
- Is the pass priced correctly? If not how much should it cost?
- How should we start answering these questions? What information would be useful?
Before beginning this investigation do a little problem solving planning with your class. Ask students what information they would like to gather in order to analyze the money-making, money-saving, or money-losing potential of this Pasta Pass. Finally, students create their own all you can eat pass for their favorite restaurant.
The activity: all-you-can-eat-pasta2016.pdf
For members we have an editable Word docx and solutions.
CCSS: MP3, MP4, 4.OA.3, 5.NBT.7, 7.SP.A.2, 7.RP.A.1, HSS.IC.B.4