Monday, April 18, Patriot's Day, is the next running of the Boston Marathon.
- What do you know about marathons?
- What do you know about the Boston Marathon?
- How long do you think the marathon is? Make your best guess.
- How many people run it? Make your best guess.
- Make an educated guess as to the fastest marathon time.
We've gathered a lot of great data and asked some sensible and some surprising rate questions. Enjoy the conversation of page 1 of the activity as a class task and then set your students to work calculating the rest.
For members we have an editable Word docx and solutions with teaching suggestions.
CCSS: 5.MD.1, 6.NS.3, 6.RP.1, 6.RP.2, 6.RP.3, 7.RP.1
We also have a more historical activity about Patriot's Day which falls on its actual date of Tuesday, April 19th.